My blog has moved to it's own domain!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://mad-laboratory.com
and update your bookmarks.

Understanding Transistors Demostration Video




So here it is in all it glory. The video is pretty boring and I don't do a good job of explaining everything or anything for that matter. Perhaps you can glean some information from it anyway.


So why do we even care about the transistor and the fact that it can turn the DC motor on and off? Well, the simple answer is...you don't care. The more involved answer is that the DC motor won't be in the application, but it is in place of the solenoid. The solenoid will actuate the cutter valve that is yet to be determined. I have a couple of ideas of how to make it work, but I will spare you the details....for now.

Other concerns:

Drainage: I don't know exactly how or where to drain the water. I need to either have a very robust drainage system or a water return system and pump. The water return system is better since there wouldn't be any flooding, but it is clearly a lot more complex.

Water pressure: Since I will essentially running 8 nozzles constantly I am worried about the ability to keep all the nozzles pressurized in order to make all of them work properly. I think that if I can figure out how many gallon/minute my sprinkler system puts out I can figure out what the water pressure will be as the flow rate and how high they will be able to jump.

Solenoid/Servo: I've been playing with a servo motors as well. **That will be my next post** I like servos because of their simplicity, but I'm not sure that they will be quick enough in order to give a proper cut. Solenoids have the tendency to burnout if run to long. The solenoid that I am working with will (from what I've read) can only be on 25% and has to be off 75% of the time otherwise it will "burnout. If I can water proof the solenoid then maybe I could have water cooling them off, and then I wouldn't have to worry about burnout.

Manufacturing: Seeing as I only have a drill press manufacturing these can be difficult. I have to find a company that will be willing to take on my small little project. If anybody is interesting in me making some of these nozzles for you let me know now because it will be cheaper for all of us!
There are going to be 2 parts that I can't manufacturer at my house. Those are the brass nozzles and the clear plastic (lexan) to hold it in place. In previous post where I show some of the results from the nozzle I was just using the plastic cap as my nozzle. I believe the reason that I was getting those, "veins" or "rifling" in my water is because of the slight (and I mean slight) inperfections in the orifice. The plastic can't hold a sharp enough edge in order to get that brilliantly clear stream. Since I am making a special brass nozzle I need something to hold the nozzle in its place. I will post some picture of the entire nozzle once I get a model made up.

Tasks:
1. Find the Flow rate!
2. Test solenoids (when they get here.)
3. Find a manufacturer for the brass nozzle, and lexan pieces.

0 comments: